About

The factory's history dates back to 1799
We have a wide range of products
previous arrow
next arrow
Slider

About us

The history of the factory dates back to 1799, when the steel manufacturing workshops were founded in Cugir, one of the first metallurgical factories in Transylvania, steel profile. The reasons which led that time Austro-Hungarian authorities to set up this factory in Cugir were mining practiced around the settlement and favorable natural conditions. The quality of the steel produced here was appreciated both inside and outside the Austro-Hungarian Empire borders.
The  expansion of the facility began in 1926, through the construction of  new production halls. The war led to the militarization of the plant which, at  that time, was managed by specialists in the field of modern weapons manufacturing. Parts and assemblies for artillery techniques were produced during the cooperation with the London company “Vickers Armstrong Ltd.” The takeover by the Czechoslovak firm “Zbrojowka-Brno” led to a redesign of the production for infantry weapons and ammunition, based on documentation license.  During the Second World War, the German concern “Herman Goring” took over  the company’s shares.

The accumulation of high experience and high technical potential ensured the success in designing and putting into production the first Romanian-designed weapon, 9mm caliber submachine gun, Parabellum, “Oriţa” type. Further industrial developments in Cugir are related to the plant, creating over the time a well-known brand named CUGIR.
Today, Uzina Mecanica Cugir SA owns the investment “Manufacturing modernization of ammunition and infantry weapons by assimilating NATO products.” By purchasing the manufacturing lines for NATO products, the company has a technological base comparable to those owned by renowned manufacturers in the defence industry. The procurement of equipment and technology related to the manufacture of Boxer anti-corrosive primers and infantry ammunition 5.56 x 45, 7,62 x 51 and     12,7 x 99 calibers leads to a high level of automation, low energy consumption, special accuracy in production, high quality finished product, flexibility, high labor productivity. From a strictly technical point of view, the company acquires modern technologies for brass case and non-corrosive ammunition (NATO specific), that opens a wide perspective concerning subsequent assimilation of other types of ammunition.

For over more than 200 years, UZINA MECANICĂ CUGIR represents the symbol and the engine of Cugir town, becoming over time a tradition inherited from our grandparents and parents, thereby undergoing a continuous process of renewal and development both in terms of facilities and manufactured products. The names of some brand manufacturers in the field of military production were associated with the company from Cugir (Skoda -H. Goering during the war, Vickers Armstrong – England, Zbrojowska Brno-Czechoslovakia), which led to the creation, maintenance and permanent development of a true technical culture among those who worked here and the city’s population. After passing into state ownership the object of activity was continuously diversified by developing new capacities for civil products, out of which we mention only a few: machine tools and aggregates, household products, industrial products (articulated chains, textile spindles, electromagnetic couplings, etc.). After 1990, the plant has undergone extensive restructuring and reorganization processes, and since 2008 it has been operating strictly in the military production sector. Part of the restructuring process we mention the following moments:
• in 2001 a joint venture was set up with Daimler Chrysler – Star Transmission Cugir
• in 2002, in partnership with Alba County Council, Park Industrial Cugir was established
• in February 2004, through the partial division of the company, Fabrica de Arme Cugir was founded
• In November 2004, the activity of the former home appliance branch was outsourced
• in February 2005, the machine tool production was relinquished
• in 2007, the Tool making Workshop from the Platform UMC I was relinquished.
Today, the Mecanica Cugir SA plant disposes of the investment ” Manufacturing modernization of Infantry weapons and ammunition by assimilating NATO products ” and produces:
• ammunition. 12.7x 108 mm cal. and 14. 5x 114 mm cal. in the following types: ball, perforating, incendiary, tracer and any combination of these calibers
• NATO type ammunition: 5.56x45mm cal., 7.62x51mm cal., 12.7x99mm cal. with steel tube
• machine guns 12.7x108mm, 12.7x99mm (.50) and 14.5×114 mm cal. on tripod and supports of different types and aviation gun 23mm cal.
• 9mm cal. parrabellum infantry armament (semi-automatic pistol and machine gun)
• accessories, spare parts and consumables (cartridge tapes, chargers, cartridge cartridges, etc)
Cugir S.A Uzina Mecanica Company rents and sells production spaces and halls.
Information Cugir